The AVID Elective is the core of AVID Secondary. It targets students in the academic middle–B, C, and even D students–with the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. Typically, they will be the first in their families to attend college, and come from groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but are falling short of their potential.
AVID places these students on the college track, requiring them to enroll in their school’s toughest courses, such as Honors and Advanced Placement®. To support them in the rigorous coursework, AVID students learn organizational and study skills, develop critical thinking, learn to ask probing questions, receive academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities to make their college dreams reality.
Did you know that the Free and Reduced Lunch program offers other benefits?
- Reduced fee for the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT)
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) fee waiver
- American College Testing (ACT) fee waiver of basic registration fee
- Fee waiver for applying to colleges
- Free applications for college
- SAT Prep Class discount
- Reduced Advance Placement (AP) Exams and International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams.